[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Forum » General Discussion » Technical Discussions » Connection related query (Which is good low latency or high speed internet?)
Connection related query
Supreme_EagleDate: Thursday, 15/09/2016, 2:09 PM | Message # 1
Colonel general
Group: Event Manager
Hi there,
I was wandering if connecting to a server with a high speed internet is better or connecting with a server with low latency. I am having a wifi which gives a speed of 2-20 Mbps but shows a latency of 150-330 (for Asian and European servers) for bf4 where as my other wifi is having the speed of 768Kbps but shows a latency of 44-68 (for Asian) and 200-300 (for European) servers.

The main question here is- Will i experience lag if i use the first Wifi                                           
(i.e with high speed and high latency)?
Which One should i prefer to play online games?

Thanks,
S.E

GrumpehBritDate: Thursday, 15/09/2016, 2:19 PM | Message # 2
Lieutenant general
Group: Friends
as a rule of thumb

ALWAYS use a wired connection to the internet, even if its to a homeplug.

WiFi is subject to interference issues.

supremeeaglearmyDate: Thursday, 15/09/2016, 2:34 PM | Message # 3
Major
Group: Inactive
I simply can't do it. It will require a very long wire to connect from the router to my room. So could you please suggest any one from the 2 mentioned above.

Message edited by supremeeaglearmy - Thursday, 15/09/2016, 2:35 PM

GrumpehBritDate: Thursday, 15/09/2016, 4:21 PM | Message # 4
Lieutenant general
homeplugs
you buy one to sit near your router, plugged into the mains, then as many as you need around the house paired via the plug socket.  You connect to them via a short Ethernet cable
they are pretty good, use them here.

SgtDarkPhoenixDate: Thursday, 15/09/2016, 4:58 PM | Message # 5
~~ Your Gentle Administrator ~~
Group: Member
I would go with the one with lower ping for gaming because the bandwidth consumption in games is actually very low, but it needs to transfer it fast (low pings).
Use the "fast bandwidth - high ping" router for general browsing of the Internet.

Quote supremeeaglearmy ()
It will require a very long wire to connect from the router to my room.

That is exactly the problem. The router is far away and your WiFi is bad. Move the router closer if you NEED to use WiFi, somewhere where the signal won't need to bend around corners etc. It can be tricky, I know.

- MasterPhoenix | Fite me 1v1 (ง ° ͜ ʖ °)ง
- Used to be an Admin...

supremeeaglearmyDate: Thursday, 15/09/2016, 6:03 PM | Message # 6
Major
Group: Inactive
Then it's not the fault of my WiFi (I had been cursing the ISP since I got the WiFi thought the lag is due to low speed internet).
Thanks for the help. cool and cleaning out my doubt tongue

Message edited by supremeeaglearmy - Thursday, 15/09/2016, 6:04 PM

SgtDarkPhoenixDate: Thursday, 15/09/2016, 6:47 PM | Message # 7
Quote supremeeaglearmy ()
I had been cursing the ISP since I got the WiFi thought the lag is due to low speed internet

The lag is because of your location mate. Even with 200Mbps, you'd lag on EU servers, just like I do on American ones. :P

- Used to be an Admin...

PukoDate: Friday, 16/09/2016, 0:01 AM | Message # 8
Sergeant of Master Sergeants Most Important Person
Group: Administrator
Quote SgtDarkPhoenix ()
he lag is because of your location mate. Even with 200Mbps, you'd lag on EU servers, just like I do on American.
Nope he wouldnt. ^^ Not with 200 mbps

Quote SgtDarkPhoenix ()
That is exactly the problem. The router is far away and your WiFi is bad. Move the router closer if you NEED to use WiFi, somewhere where the signal won't need to bend around corners etc. It can be tricky, I know.

WiFi extender
http://www.trustedreviews.com/best-wifi-extenders_round-up

Boost? Phoenix will ban you !
Complain? Phoenix will ban you !
If you... Phoenix will ban you !
Disagree with Phoenix? PERMA BAN !!!

GrumpehBritDate: Friday, 16/09/2016, 9:50 AM | Message # 9
Lieutenant general
god.  wifi extenders.

please no :)

seriously get a couple of homeplugs.  20-40 quid for both and solve your issue quickly and with no fuss..simples.

Added (16/09/2016, 9:50 AM)
---------------------------------------------
and its not all about speed.

its about how YOUR isp, connects to the backbone that the server is on.  and the amount of hops that this route takes.

think of it as a bus journey (penix will know this as hes a poor bastard) into town to collect your dole money... if you take a bus that stops regularly and changes bus it will take longer than the taxi that goes directly to the destination.

you could always give up gaming and download pron and jerk yourself off until it falls off..then make a youtube video of your lack of manhood for money....then buy a nighhawk router and win !

chuck Norris uses a nighthawk router to collect all the pokemon

JamessuperfunDate: Friday, 16/09/2016, 11:12 AM | Message # 10
Colonel general
Group: Founder
He would lag. I'm on 152Mbps, no way to not lag on a server far away - just a matter of physics.

Seriously, DementiaCat is correct. Get HomePlugs. They use your house's power wiring as an ethernet cable. You plug one in by your router, connect it with an ethernet cable then the other by your computer and connect that the same way. No WiFi, no long cable, much more stable connection.

If you're not close to your router, there is absolutely no way over WiFi you will end up with anything comparable to a wired connection, and even right next to it a wire would still be better. Don't bother using wireless for gaming, it's useful for connecting laptops and phones, not gaming rigs.

"Dip, dip, potato chip" - James Blunt

GrumpehBritDate: Friday, 16/09/2016, 2:50 PM | Message # 11
Lieutenant general
it is because I am a wise old cat.

I use TP Link Homeplugs, the 300 ones.  Don't bother with higher spec unless you live inside the backbone or the matrix itself.

they come as a passthrough or 2x ports or single ports... with the cheapest being the single port NON passthrough.  Take 2 mins to set up, even penix could manage it, as hes used to lasting only 2 mins...

SgtDarkPhoenixDate: Friday, 16/09/2016, 4:52 PM | Message # 12
Quote DementiaCat ()
(penix will know this as hes a poor bastard)

K thanks...

Generally, we are speaking about up to 20 Mbps. That's 2.5 MBps. I had WiFi on that up until a couple months ago, no issues. Now that I got 100 Mbps, WiFi can only stream up to like 35 or maybe 50. 

Apart from being "stable", LAN on those speeds will not help too much. Personally, I had 0 ping reduction after connecting with LAN when compared to WiFi, and my router was in the other room, blocked by a 60 cm thick brick wall (one of the main walls in the entire house). So, yeah...

- Used to be an Admin...

PukoDate: Monday, 19/09/2016, 8:03 PM | Message # 13
Quote SgtDarkPhoenix ()
Generally, we are speaking about up to 20 Mbps. That's 2.5 MBps. I had WiFi on that up until a couple months ago, no issues. Now that I got 100 Mbps, WiFi can only stream up to like 35 or maybe 50. Apart from being "stable", LAN on those speeds will not help too much. Personally, I had 0 ping reduction after connecting with LAN when compared to WiFi, and my router was in the other room, blocked by a 60 cm thick brick wall (one of the main walls in the entire house). So, yeah...

meanwhile I have managed to setup wireless printer via  router with my phone so i can use it on pc.
yaaay for me.

SgtDarkPhoenixDate: Monday, 19/09/2016, 8:17 PM | Message # 14
Quote Puko ()
meanwhile I have managed to setup wireless printer via  router with my phone so i can use it on pc.yaaay for me.

Yeah, heard the fully story earlier lmao
n1
I still haven't managed to connect mine lol

- Used to be an Admin...

PukoDate: Tuesday, 20/09/2016, 5:31 PM | Message # 15
Quote SgtDarkPhoenix ()
I still haven't managed to connect mine lol

I would gladly come to your house and fix you, um, i mean to fix your printer issue

Forum » General Discussion » Technical Discussions » Connection related query (Which is good low latency or high speed internet?)
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search:

?>